Castle Church, Stafford, (2)

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:Castle Church is dedicated to St. Mary and dates from the Norman period; it was connected to the Collegiate Church of St. Mary in Stafford until 1547.

The tower was rebuilt in the fifteenth century; to celebrate a marriage between the Staffords and the Nevilles, the families' arms were incorporated into the west side of the tower in 1424.

By 1841 the church was in such a poor state of repair that most of the building, apart from the tower, was rebuilt by Sir George Gilbert Scott.

Built into the west wall of the north aisle a carved stone, dated between 1180 and 1200. The stone was found in 1896 and is believed to be part of an altar.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1750s
Castle Church, Stafford,
Castle Church, Stafford,

Castle Church is dedicated to St. Mary and dates from the Norman period; it was ...

1850s
Castle Church, Stafford,
Castle Church, Stafford,

Castle Church is dedicated to St. Mary and dates from the Norman period; it was ...

1890s
Castle Church, Stafford, (1)
Castle Church, Stafford, (1)

Castle Church is dedicated to St. Mary and dates from the Norman period; it was ...

1910s
Castle Church, Stafford, (2)
Castle Church, Stafford, (2)

Castle Church is dedicated to St. Mary and dates from the Norman period; it was ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:97.040.0033 (18/1939)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.