Greengate Street, Stafford,

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:View looking towards Market Square.

The timber framed building on the left is the Ancient High House, built by Richard Dorrington in 1595. In 1826 the building was bought by John Marson, who converted the lower floor into shops. The building is now owned by the Borough Council and opened to the public as a heritage and exhibition centre in 1987.

The building with bow windows is the Swan Hotel, originally built as two private town houses in the seventeenth century. The buildings were converted into a coaching inn in 1752 and a Georgian front was later added.

In-between the High House and the Swan is Shaw's House, named after a shoemaker who lived there in the nineteenth century and thought to have been erected earlier than the Ancient High House. In 1947 its facade was restored; the new plaster was painted to represent the timber framing underneath.

On the right is Dale's, an ironmongery. The building was a typical Tudor house (c.1500), originally thatched, and first used as a shop in 1811 when Bartlem Tomlinson started his ironmonger's business there. Philip Dale was one of his apprentices. In 1826 Dale set up his own business, acquiring Tomlinson's old premises in 1835.

The building was demolished in the 1960s and replaced by modern shops.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Ancient High House, Stafford
Ancient High House, Stafford

The large timber framed building is the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, ...

1880s
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,
Advertisement for Marson's Grocers, High House, Stafford,

Tea wrapper from William Marson's grocery business, established in the High House ...

1900s
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,
Marson's Grocers Shop and Staff, Stafford,

Marson's staff and Christmas window display. Marson's high class grocer's shop ...

1920s
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,
Woodall's Drapers Shop, Stafford,

Woodall's shop was at 55 Greengate Street. It closed in the 1970s.

1950s
Dale's Ironmongers Shop Interior, Stafford,
Dale's Ironmongers Shop Interior, Stafford,

Dale's shop was on Greengate Street. The sixteenth century building was first used ...

1970s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

St. Mary's Passages leads from Greengate into St. Mary's churchyard. On the right ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Donor ref:P96.006.0152 (18/1810)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.