Aerial View from St. Mary's Church Tower, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1945 - 1955 (c.)

Description:View over Greengate Street and down Martin Street.

On the right can be seen the timber framed buildings of the Bear Inn and the Ancient High House. To the left of the Bear Inn is Mottram's Jewellers.

In the centre, on Martin Street, are the County Council Buildings. On the left, to the rear, is the Borough Hall on Eastgate Street, now the Gatehouse Theatre.


Timeline

The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

1780s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

The High House was built on Greengate Street by Richard Dorrington in 1595. The ...

1850s
Martin Street, Stafford,
Martin Street, Stafford,

Watercolour painting by Great Haywood born sculptor and artist Samuel Peploe Wood ...

1870s
Ancient High House, Stafford,
Ancient High House, Stafford,

View of the Ancient High House on Greengate Street, built by Richard Dorrington ...

1900s
Brookfield's Millinery Department, Stafford,
Brookfield's Millinery Department, Stafford,

Brookfield's Department Store was on Market Square. The building is now occupied ...

1920s
Aerial View of Stafford, Greengate Street,
Aerial View of Stafford, Greengate Street,

View looking north up Bridge Street, Greengate Street and Gaolgate Street. Gaol ...

1950s
Bear Inn, Stafford,
Bear Inn, Stafford,

The seventeenth century Bear Inn on Greengate Street was built on the site of the ...

1970s
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,
St. Mary's Passage, Stafford,

St. Mary's Passages leads from Greengate into St. Mary's churchyard. On the right ...

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Ordering:Click the button to add the item to your basket. Follow the link for further information on ordering.

Image courtesy of: Staffordshire County Records Office

Donor ref:County Record Office No., D4113/7/1, img: 1286 (18/1753)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.