Gaol Square, Stafford

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1940 - 1949 (c.)

Description:The four-dial clock was presented by George Bruckshaw in 1916, to celebrate his fifty years residence in Stafford. It replaced the third lamp which crowned the Sidney Fountain (erected in 1889 by the widow of Thomas Sidney, a Stafford man who became Lord Mayor of London, 1853 - 1854).

The drinking fountain was destroyed in 1928 when a motor van ran into it; the clock was later restored and mounted on a new post near to its original site (seen here).

The Singer Sewing Centre later became Birches' Radio and Vision Service and the premises occupied by The Jap Co. became F.T. Parkes, house furnishers. The small shop in-between was a sweet shop, the Mecca.


The timeline shows resources around this location over a number of years.

Mayor's Procession, Stafford
Mayor's Procession, Stafford

View of Gaol Square. In the distance can be seen Foregate Street, on the left, ...

Pageant Procession, Gaol Road, Stafford
Pageant Procession, Gaol Road, Stafford

The parade of decorated floats seen in Gaol Road during the annual Trades and Friendly ...

Gaol Square, Stafford,
Gaol Square, Stafford,

View looking down Gaolgate Street, towards Market Square. Behind the clock is ...

Gaolgate Street, Stafford,
Gaolgate Street, Stafford,

View of Gaolgate Street from Gaol Square, with Woolworths and the entrance to the ...

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:P98.003.0037 (18/1386)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.