Boys' Home, Standon

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:This building began as a Church of England home for orphans, but by the 1940s it was an approved school for delinquent boys.

On the 15th February 1947 the home was the scene of a murder perpetrated by some of the boys. The victim was William Peter Fieldhouse, the assistant gardening instructor, although the intended victim had been the headmaster, Thomas Dawson. The boys were caught on the railway line between Madeley and Crewe. The school was closed later that year.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:P96.006.0006 (18/1102)

Source: Staffordshire Museum Service

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.