Date: 1839 - 1841 (c.)
Description: Oil painting by Thomas Peploe Wood (1817-1845). In the distance can be seen Ilam Hall.
The Ilam estate was bought from the Port family by Jesse Watts Russell, a wealthy manufacturer, in the early 19th century. Between 1821 and 1826 he rebuilt Ilam Hall in the Gothic style, using the architect John Shaw the Elder. Originally the hall was a large mansion house, most of which was demolished during the 1930s. It became a youth hostel.
Dimensions: height - 380mm, width - 615mm