Date: 1960 - 1970 (c.)
Description: Ann aerial view of Oulton, looking north-east, with Oulton Abbey bottom right.
Oulton Abbey, formerly Oulton House, was built by Thomas Dent, a solicitor, in about 1720. It was later owned by John Joule, the brewer, who added a new front in 1822. Between 1835 and 1838 it was occupied by the Duke of Sutherland while Trentham Hall was being altered. Between 1838 and 1853 it was a private asylum run by Sarah Bakewell and was known as Oulton Retreat.
Since 1853 it has been occupied by Benedictine nuns and became known as St Mary's Abbey. The nuns have also established a playgroup (since 1968) and Our Lady and St. Benedict's Nursing and Residential Home (since 1989).
The Abbey chapel was built in 1854 to designs by Edward Welby Pugin. A Chapter House, Presbytry and Sacristy were added in 1892.